2021 08 Private Lessons Jenn.fo

Forums Personal Discussion Zone PDZ Users H through M Jenn.fo Discussion Zone 2021 08 Private Lessons Jenn.fo

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jamee Small
    Keymaster

21/08/04

It was a pleasure meeting and working with you today. Well done! By the end, I hope we can achieve the Self Rescue Kata, which is composed of pre-existing and all rehearsed skills.

In our first lesson we explored the initial building blocks for aquatic activities, Air Management and Balance. Each activity we do will aim to…

1. Build dialogue between you and your holistic body
    2. Relax the Mind and Body
    3. Shape Body Structure
    4. Incorporate Air Management Skills

As we progress your list of passive and active details and skills will grow. To best incorporate these skills and not overwhelm the system, we use drills and focal points. I will ask you to hold one focal point at a time until it becomes more familiar and comfortable. Eventually it will become easier to hold and balance two, eventually three at the same time, and so on. In the meantime, you may like to organize your body into sections.

• Head and Spine
    • Shoulders and Arms
    • Hops and Legs

For example – You can use this organization while working through drills and focal points by first consider learning to hear your Head and Neck and what it’s doing, where is it and how to does it feel; then relax it fully; followed by noting the ideal shape and structure you want to hold it in for that activity; then incorporate the air management.

There is a lot of feedback in the pool environment. It can easily distract and even overwhelm the nervous system from the activities at hand. To help isolate and alleviate some of the pressures, you may consider using Support Structures as outlined in How to Use Support Structures until you feel more confident with the skills and activities.

Air Management

You breath all day, every day until your last day. Most the time you have easy access to air and use it without thinking. When you are in the water, your air management can be the first thing that incites discomfort. Understanding what it actually feels like to have no air, all the air, build up of CO2, switching between the forms can help you better adjust to the various sensation you experience throughout activities.

You can exhale via the mouth or nose. I recommend using a nasal exhale. It allows you more control and protects against water running up. During all other drills and activities, you will interchangeably hold your breath and exhale, incorporating both sensations.

Breathing Drills
    Breathing Foal Points
    • While focusing on air management, pay attention to the body’s feedback. Take note of any tension and where, feeling of decreased lung capacity, stability, hold on supports, reaction times, etc. When something comes ups, try to sit with the sensation instead of fighting, controlling or reacting to it. Just listen

You can also practice in the comfort of your own home with breathing exercises. 

Weighted Objects

During our session we used a weighted diving brick to stabilize underwater. If the pool you practice at does not have a weighted object to use, you could either find a clean water safe object between 10 to 15 lbs or make your own. Remember whatever materials you use are safe in water and can be exposed to chlorine. Suggestions: Using a plastic jug or bucket, fill with either sand, clean stones, or glass beads. Drill holes big enough to allow air to escape but not lose contents (Skip step if using sand).

Balance Basics and Superman Float

Balance refers to keeping the body parallel to the surface, in the ‘neutral corridor’, or the ‘neutral zone’ between gravity pushing down and water pressure pushing up. This is the corridor where you can swim along without having to waste energy fighting against those two natural forces. To read further on balance and how it effects movement in the water, you may read The Torpedo Frame.

Even as you explore other shapes on the water, your body will seek to find this neutral space. You can play with it, try not to resist as the body bobs around finding balance.

Balance Drills

*Make sure to notify the Lifeguard before attempting the Dead Man’s Float exercise, so they don’t mistake it for an emergency. 

Balance Focal Points
    • Feel water lifting and supporting
    • Hold shape when body wobbles and bobs
    • Relax head and neck
    • Repeat with Exhale

Superman B

Superman Drills
    Superman Focal Points
    • Weightless Head (Relaxed neck and shoulders, eyes looking straight down)
    • Straight Spine (lifted pelvis, straight hips and knees, face parallel to ground)
    • Tippy Toes Stretch (engage abdomen between the belly button and groin, like a belt)
    • Hands down at Target Depth (create that counter balance)
    • Tree Branch Arms (hold a comfortable shape, but not tense)
    • Narrow Tail (Legs close together within the body line)
    • Light Flutter kick (only if the legs drop, for lift not propulsion)

To help you pay attention, interpret and send commands to particular parts of your body you were given a selection of cues in each drill. Aim for one Cues at a time. When they become individually comfortable, then try two at a time. These Focal Points and further explanations of them are under 101 Cues Points.

Additional Notes;

I do hope you will take advantage of this discussion zone to ask me specific questions about what and how to practice. This space is meant to support you in your personal training time.

jenn.fo
    Participant

Thank you so much Coach Jamee! I’ll message you here after my first independent practice if I have any questions. It was a lot to take in today, and I appreciate your patience! 🙂

jenn.fo
    Participant

Hi Coach Jamee,

I’m not sure if you saw my email, but I won’t be able to make it tomorrow 8/11. I look forward to seeing you 8/18 though! My senior cat had surgery Friday and isn’t doing well. I’m anxious to leave him.

Thanks for understanding!

Jenn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.