How To Measure Time Splits

Forums Library Swim Course Instructions How To Measure Time Splits

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Admin Mediterra
    Keymaster

A time split is the amount of time it takes you to swim one length or one lap of the pool or one segment while swimming a much longer distance. Knowing your splits over a longer swim helps you see if your speed was changing or remaining consistent over that distance.

Length = from one end of the pool to the other.

Lap = going to the other end of the pool and back to the starting point (like running a lap around a track).

For example, if you were swimming 400 meters continuous, you may record your 100 meter splits, which means you record the time for each 100 within that 400 swim.

If you were swimming 12x 25, you may take the split for each 25 meter length of the pool.

If you were swimming 200 meters you may take the split for each 50 meter lap.

Measuring Devices

Pace Clock

Many lap pools have a standard pace clock on the wall or on the deck.

Using a pace clock requires some practice.

You may turn and duck underwater to start your push-off at 2 seconds before your send-off time. And then at the moment you intend to measure the split, you touch the wall (or do an open turn rather than a flip turn) you must turn immediately to look at the clock. You may estimate how many seconds you need for the push-off, and if you can turn, locate and read the clock in 1 or 2 seconds after touching the wall – then adjust your  measurement to factor the time for your turn and focus.

Waterproof Wrist Watch

I have used nothing more than a simple ($35) Timex Ironman wristwatch for 30 years, replacing it every few years when the face gets too scratched. I sometimes replace the plastic band with a velco band. 

You can use the chronometer the same way you use a pace clock on the wall. Just watch the seconds and duck underwater to start your push-off 2 seconds before the send off time.

To time a repeat, as you touch the wall you just thrust your wrist in front of your face so you can glance at the watch while your face is still underwater. If you are swimming continuously, you can do your flip turn and then as you bring your hands together to streamline just before the push-off, touch the split button to mark the split time on the watch memory (then you can recall the split times from the watch memory after the swim).

Kitchen Timers

If you want to be a bit more creative you can pick up a couple inexpensive kitchen timers, place them in clear, waterproof iphone pouches, and then synchronize the timers.

I position one at each end of my lane (wedged into a swim fin), in the position where I can most quickly turn my head to see it at the end of a repeat. I use these when the pool does not have a pace clock, or when the pace clock is not positioned so that I can see it quickly from both ends of the pool.

~ ~ ~

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.