Interrupted Breathing Discussion Zone

Forums Swim Courses Freestyle Fundamentals Interrupted Breathing Discussion Zone

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Admin Mediterra
    Keymaster

The Discussion Forums are organized according to topic. You may leave reports on your personal practice time, questions and observations. Coach will respond to the latest posts each week

Diana Hsieh
    Participant

Hi Mat – I’ve been reviewing videos, they are mostly short and sweet – very helpful.

I’d like to avoid this Interrupted Breathing lesson, where you are on your back. For whatever reason, when my head (ears?) gets spun around, I’m ruined for the practice due to nausea. For example, if I swim breaststroke and then switch to a backstroke type position, it’s like being in a machine machine spin cycle.

As an alternative, if this lesson is an important skill, maybe we can do it at the very end of the practice, where it’s ok if I’m nauseated at the end of the hour!

I wanted to ask you — can we work on regular breathing a bit this Monday, so I can incorporate it in swimming?  The Willamette R. is too cold (around 61 degrees) now for me to do a lot of practice drills. I need to be swimming when I’m in the river to keep warm, then do the various drills my last 10 minutes (that’s what I did Tuesday and it worked out OK). It’s not ideal, but workable.

You did a video from your office or bedroom on arm position, I’m going to try and find it again to watch. You looked ready to spear a fish.

Diana

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Hi Diana. The Interrupted Breathing is an optional lesson, not required. It is a useful skill but we don’t want to cause problems with your balance by it.

We will study the streamline position a bit more on Monday because this is the foundation, the platform on which you will more easily turn to the air and reach it. It will make sense I hope. Every thing we will cover has a direct connection to making breathing go better. We can go back and forth with stroke skills and breathing to see their relationship.

In these days, an ‘ideal practice’ is one that we can get to, despite the obstacles!

Yeah, being in the chilly river would require staying rather vigorous in movements. In this case I would not be doing much slow drills, but rather swimming whole stroke with a ‘drill mindset’.

https://dojo.mediterraswim.com/kb/whole-stroke-swimming-with-cues/

Drills are useful tools but we use them to not need them any more. The idea in drill mindset is to still be working intently on some aspect of the body or stroke while going along at normal whole stroke swimming. Later in your development process you’d be still be working on features of your technique but do so under more challenging, whole stroke conditions, so you would not necessarily need a drill to slow you down but you would maintain strong attention and intention on your movements.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.