Preparing Your Race Strategy

Forums Library Knowledge Base Preparing Your Race Strategy

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

I want to suggest different race strategies for the two different levels of open water swimmers.

For Level 1 Swimmers, I suggest you aim for holding a fairly even pace during your race, learning to restrain your exertion at the beginning, and settling in to a sustainable pace in the middle, and preparing to keep up the effort as you near the end.

If we break the race into 4 sections the pattern may look like this:

• First 500 meters: Gear 2
    • 2. Quarter: Gear 3
    • 3. Quarter: Gear 3
    • Last 500 meters: Gear 4

And for your focal points, I may recommend these:

• 1. Quarter: Breathing
    • 2. Quarter: Synchronization
    • 3. Quarter: Synchronization
    • 4. Quarter: Sending Force Forward

But keep in mind, there could be several details about your race location or conditions that could urge a different strategy. That is something for us to talk about closer to the race date, in the last cycle.

For Level 2 Swimmers, you can consider the simple strategy above, if you are simply racing against your own previous performance, but if you have concerns about competition and special conditions for this race (like a mass start, for example) we can develop a race strategy customized to your race situation.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.