Quick Tutorial On Tune Up Design

Forums Library Knowledge Base Quick Tutorial On Tune Up Design

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Admin Mediterra
    Keymaster

Here is a more simplified guide on how a Tune-Up could be constructed:

Tune Up

Distance/Duration

It could be from 10 minutes to 15 minutes for an already well-tuned swimmer, to the entire practice for an out-of-tune swimmer.

It is hard to out actual distance or time involved in each step that works for every human. This is extremely personalized. On any particular day, for a whole variety of reasons, you may find things coming more easily or coming harder than normal. You may need more time in one area of concentration or less. It is a principle that you take the time necessary to get into your ideal state in each area in order to be set up for your best practice.

Recognize that one step does not end and the next begin. It is a sequence of turning on one area of concentration and laying it upon the previous one. You are gradually increasing the complexity of what your brain will pay attention to.

First, Attention, then add Relaxation, then add Balance, then add Streamline.

Attention

Objective: Draw you attention into the water, into you body.

Measure Quality: By how sensitive you are to feedback inside your body and to the feedback of the water.

Relaxation

Objective: Relax and loosen the tissues and give the systems time to align into your best swimming position and movement patterns.

Measure Quality: By how easy and eagerly your body wants to get into your best swimming position and move, by feeling energy wanting to burst out.

Balance

Objective: Tune up your balance, front/back balance and rotational (side) balance.

Measure Quality: By how easily you can keep your body parallel to surface and gliding forward on a straight path.

Streamline

Objective: Tune up my streamline, so that I slide forward on each stroke with least effort.

Measure Quality: By how easily I am reaching my optimal stroke length.

If things are coming harder than normal then you might walk through these questions:

• Where is my attention today? Am I present here in the water, in my body, or is my attention somewhere else?
    • Do I have enough energy? Is my immune system working harder than normal? Am I still recovering from my last activity?
    • Can my muscles generate enough force? (Is there tension or injury and atrophy reducing my normal muscular capacity?)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.