Tips To Improve Stroke Counting In Open Water

Forums Library Knowledge Base Tips To Improve Stroke Counting In Open Water

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Admin Mediterra
    Keymaster

When people are new to open-water training I recommend using a stroke count interval similar to one’s SPL (plus 3 to account for the glide-from-wall part of the length).

As one develops stronger attention span I suggest convenient divisors of 100 or 120 – 20/30/40/50. Why? Because it can also be used as a rough distance gauge in open water when one’s stroke length is approximately 1 meter per stroke (which most people will be near that +/- 10-20 cm).

A few years ago I have taken to counting just one arm to reduce the frequency of the mental ‘beep’ in head and free up a bit more the channel for more detailed attention on some stroke feature. I notice that I tend to emphasize the movement of that moment on the arm I am counting, so I will switch the side I count on when I switch the body part I am focusing on.

I might correspond the count generally to rotation to one side so it doesn’t use up so much of the channel while I focus on something else. Or I might count both left and right but double count each number, once for each side, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, which seems to have an emphasis-balancing effect and prevents my loss of count. Or one may count one arm stroke but split the syllables between the two arms – Twenty-One, Twenty-Two, Twenty-Three, and so on. And one may count breaths – this is particular good for practicing bi-lateral breathing on every 3 strokes. / / 1, / / 2, / / 3, / / 4, etc.

One pattern may be:

• 3 sets of 20 strokes, with focal point A.
    • 3 sets of 20 strokes, with focal point B.
    • 3 sets of 20 strokes, with focal point C. Etc.

Within that pattern I may do:

• 20 strokes focal point A.
    • Stop counting and do active rest for an approximate 30 seconds.
    • 20 strokes focal point A.
    • Turn off counting and do active rest for an approximate 30 seconds. Etc.

Another pattern may be:

• 100 strokes at tempo 1.20,
    • 50 strokes at relaxed tempo (quickly set tempo to upcoming number while keeping the device in my swim cap, then ignore),
    • 100 strokes at tempo 1.15, then
    • 50 strokes at relaxed tempo,
    • 100 strokes at tempo 1.10,
    • 50 strokes at relaxed tempo, etc.

Other patterns may be:

• 2x 150 strokes (counting one side) working on a smooth breathing focal point (approximately 660 meters for me).
    • 2x 150 strokes working on synchronization pairs AB, BC.
    • 2x 150 strokes working on gradual tempo increase each 50 stroke mark.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘Tips To Improve Stroke Counting In Open Water’ is closed to new replies.