Lesson Jan 30 2019

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Pool Session – Jan 30

At first, I thought of taking you on a series of 100 repeats to provoke a bit of fatigue and see what started to fall apart in your stroke, what might be causing SPL. From some comments you made, we then turned this into an exercise on how to warm up.

You may have ended up doing 10x 100 repeats

You counted strokes at first, finding 18 SPL that then went up to 21 by the end of 100

That prompted me to think about your warm up. So we turned off concern for holding SPL (though monitoring it), and turned attention inward toward some foundational qualities.

I did suggest that, at this stage of refinement in your stroke, you start working with longer repeats, longer sets to get past initial oxygen debt, and into some possibility of fatigue which will give more direct motivation to body and mind to relieve that stress through technique adjustments.

And, you may find it is actually easier to notice deviations and affect adjustments in the stroke after going continuously a few hundred yards. Repetition helps. Having time for respiratory and cardio system to catch up and settle in helps too. Things feel different (better) after swimming continuously 10 minutes or so.

I also explained that you may have a plan for the day, but you don’t know what condition your body parts will be in when you show up. So you need to provide more than enough time to check n with each parts, and gently coax the weakest members on line, and unified. Maybe at least 600 yards.

I give myself a whole half hour to really tune up and feel ready for the main set of the day. I swim 900, starting very gently before adding any variation in intensity.

You may browse the 2018 podcasts for a couple that address the warm up (tune up). And here are some articles in the library on it…

So you may work on a better warmup process. Start with the spine and work outward to the periphery.

Focal Points

• Set the torpedo frame
    • Unify the torso in rotation
    • Unify shoulders slide with torso rotation
    • Only reach to passive extension length ahead, not to active extension
    • Pull with side of torso, blend shoulder slide with lat pull
    • Slightly increase catch pressure, with gathering more at first part of the catch action
    • Set catch but gradually build pressure to coincide as lats reach max force production point (remember the skateboarding foot applying pressure gradually)
    • Legs receive rotational force, redirect it into CBFP
    • Feet lock into counter balanced foot position
    • Reach heel to surface to create internal restraint on rotation on the Skate side

What is ” CMFP”? Did you mean CBFP, or counter balanced foot position?

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Yes, Counter BALANCED Foot Position ‘CBFP’ – I corrected that in the notes above. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.