Lesson Series Fall 2019

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

First Session – November 10

Hi Tabitha,

It’s a pleasure to share these skills with you. You were quick to pick up the skills and use the drills, and we were able to cover a couple bonus skills as well.

Below are links to the lesson outline, a practice guide and some additional articles to read if they catch your interest and you have time.

Please use this forum to stay in communication with me between and after your lessons, so I can support you as you practice.

Welcome to our Freestyle Lesson Series

To review the concepts we are working with in this lesson series you may view our Freestyle Lesson Series Overview and the article Four Essential Features, where the skill objectives for each lesson are explained.

Build The Frame and Form Streamline Shape

Study

In our first lesson we have worked on those first two of those Four Essential Features. You may review these to understand more about our first lesson and prepare for those to come:

Study

You may view the outline for our first Lesson on The Frame and Streamline Shape, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

I also introduced you to the Interrupted Breathing Position which may be very helpful in your pool practice time and prepare you for Rhythmic Breathing in the following lessons.

I also mentioned that you might enjoy using short swim fins to assist while working in the drills. You may read some thoughts on this in the article Should I Use Fins? Now you can do drills the full length of the pool, without stopping and you may breathe as you please.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets for The Frame and Streamline Shape for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Some Additional Reading

Below are some links to articles in our library that may help you. And, I do hope you will take advantage of this discussion zone to ask me specific questions about what and how to practice. This space is meant to support you in your personal training time.

A central feature of our method is our use of Focal Points (also known as Cues) to create a super-learning situation for your brain. You may review our introduction to Focal Points.

As you do your personal practice between our live sessions, you may appreciate some guidance on how to organize your efforts. You may read How To Practice.

And, as you consider how much drills versus how much whole stroke you may do in your personal practice time you may view Transition From Drills To Whole Stroke. If you are feeling some tension between your need for drill work and your need to maintain fitness you may view Focal Point Swimming for some suggestions on how to balance those.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Second Session – November 17

In this second lesson we continued working our way through the Four Essential Features, in the freestyle stroke.

Generate Forward Momentum and Make First Connections

Study

We focused on the next two features:

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our second lesson on Lesson For Forward Momentum And First Connection which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

And, I briefly introduced you to the Tempo Trainer and training with tempo.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets For Momentum and Connections for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Third Session – November 25

I now realize I was mistaken at the start of our lesson – I somehow got in mind that we were on the fourth lesson and had covered breathing in the previous lesson, though my notes here prove otherwise.

Under this impression, I was further persuaded by the fact that you had already done some work to insert breathing into your new stroke pattern and many things were starting to work better.

I only introduced you to the 3-Part Breathing Drill and a few focal points, and did not introduce all the main breathing skills as I would have in a full breathing lesson.

I am going to insert the outline for Integrated Breathing below so you have those notes. And beyond that the notes for the Catch And Hold, which we did work on in the second half of the time.

Integrated Breathing

Study

In today’s lesson we worked on Integrated Breathing which depends on the Four Essential Features of the freestyle stroke. You may read the Intro For Integrated Breathing.

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our Lesson For Integrated Breathing which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets for Integrated Breathing for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Catch And Hold

As a bonus to the Four Essential Features of the freestyle stroke we spent some time working on the catch, we applied those skills on Integrated Breathing for the end of this lesson.

Study

You may read the introduction for the Intro for Catch And Hold.

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our fourth Lesson for The Catch and Hold, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets for Catch And Hold for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.