Video Analysis August 2019

Forums Personal Discussion Zone Tgofine Discussion Zone Video Analysis August 2019

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Bi-Lateral versus Uni-Lateral Breathing

I wrote something on this a few years ago which breaks down the things we consider in one’s breathing pattern…

https://mediterraswim.com/2014/02/15/breathing-patterns/

And, a practice that promotes practicing bi-lateral and on one’s weak side

https://dojo.mediterraswim.com/forums/topic/practice-breathing-patterns/

Being able to breathe on both sides opens up many more options for how to get the optimal amount of respiration (the average number of seconds between inhalations) on a length of the pool, for the level of exertion.

Tim Gofine
    Participant

re: extending arm. I was confusing there: let me clarify. I meant to refer to the catch/pull. After extending fully ( which drives the body forward), establishing purchase, the lead arm begins to move backwards toward the feet. In one of the photos, you draw a  corrected path of my arm with the comment that I am scooping too much because my arm is straight. So, putting things together, that arm, once beginning to move back after the catch is made should be bent and not underneath the plane of the body. That’s correct, correct?

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

I think you got it. Let me try another description to double check…

Depending on our viewpoint, we can view the catch hand as moving back, under the body, or we can view the body sliding forward, over and past the catch hand.

Let’s use the ‘ladder stretched out under the body’ image -, with that ladder set at a depth just 12 inches under the body, the catch hand would fix it’s grip on the intersection of a rail and rung and hold that point, while you slide your body forward, past that grip point. Your hand would not dip down deeper, nor outward, nor inward, because its position in space would be fixed. The body would rotate and the elbow would bend into an ‘arm wrestling’ shape to allow the the body to slide over that hand and straight forward. The well-timed rotation allows the catch hand to stay on that rail, while the spine travels straight up the ladder and the entry/extension hand to slide straight up the other rail. The ladder image allows us to set with precision the geometry and pathways of body parts.

If we then view the hand as sliding back, under the body, likewise, we would view that hand as staying fixed to the rail of that ladder, sliding straight back, not downward, not inward nor outward. The arm is fully extended just before setting the catch, but it sets the catch the elbow starts to bend and in order to push straight back at a constant depth, the elbow must bend to keep the forearm planer to the pushing direction and keep the constant depth. Imagine setting up to arm wrestle a friend at a table – consider the angle you’d like your elbow to be to tap into the best musculature of your shoulder – that’s the bend angle you want in your elbow when it passes under your shoulder. And that hand should come directly under the shoulder and head straight under the hip.

Tim Gofine
    Participant

Mat,

I’m not sure if you received my reply to your earlier email. I mentioned that I have another video to submit ( better in a couple of weeks as my schedule will be freer). The other point was that I sometimes have the feeling that on my right side I am pulling the arm through after the catch; perhaps this is because I’m really not focusing on my hips at all. Is there something I should do in particular about that?

Best,

Tim

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

I don’t recall that email, but I could have missed that point after reading it!

There are also details regarding the finish of the catch, of course!

The main force-generating part of the stroke is in the first half. As the forearm and hand pass the navel and pelvis, they should start to release that ball of water as it flows straight under the hip and leg. At this moment the elbow has reached its farthest rear position and immediately starts orbiting forward, so the elbow moving forward neutralizes the pressure of the hand against the ball. One would have to pause the elbow in order to keep pressure against the hand at this point, and then the pivot point would be at the elbow and the hand would start to arc upward which is pushing against water in a direction other that then direction of travel = wasted time and energy, with an illusion of being productive.

The connection of the hip to catch really has its effect in that first part of the stroke, from setting the catch to where the hand reaches the navel – at that point the torso has finished rotation and the hand just drifts under the pelvis and then is pulled quietly from the water by the elbow that is beginning the exit and swinging wide.

Am I touching on what you are talking about?

Tim Gofine
    Participant

Mat,

I’d like to submit another video as follow up for the first. I can start getting back into the pool more regularly next week. Can you remind me of the procedure? I can send the file early next week.

Tim

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

https://dojo.mediterraswim.com/y/video-shoot-instr/

You can upload to Wetransfer.com or Dropbox or Google Docs and send me a link to download.

I feel like the dentist – time for a check up!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.