MC 1K Summer 2018

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

We can carry on the discussion of your progress in the MC 1K course here…

Alex Granzin
    Participant

Hey Mat-Hope the swim camp in Turkey is going well. I did my 1k test swim today and managed to do the whole thing breathing every three strokes. Sadly I was wearing a new swim watch and I couldn’t get it to stop at the right time. I’m glad my swimming is going better than my interaction with technology. I finished right around 29 minutes which I know is pretty slow, but my main goal is to swim this distance and beyond with greater ease. I can do the test again before I start the workouts if it’s important to have an exact time and stroke counts. Otherwise I’ll just get started with the workouts next week.

Alex Granzin
    Participant

I’m just getting started. I did the test swim last week and this week I started workout 1 trying to follow the recommended format pretty closely. I did three main sets after the warm up and then a cool down. The focal points are just what I feel like I really need to work on now that I can generally breathe every three strokes. I’m using that pattern for the whole workout. It seems like I could stay on week one easily for two weeks and I would guess there is no problem with that. If it takes me longer to get through the course I can just re-up.

I think I have the watch figured out now and it should be more helpful in the future. Glad to her camp is going well and looking forward to some lessons when you return.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Yes, you are encouraged to repeat weeks of the training schedule (since we have no deadlines!) either because the assigned skills need more time or your body (neural and muscular fitness) needs more adaptation time at that level before the challenge increases slightly the next week.

Alex Granzin
    Participant

Thanks Mat-For some reason this didn’t show up in my email as your posts typically do.  Hope you had a great trip to Turkey.  I’m out of town next week but back the following week and would like to schedule a lesson if you have times Wednesdays are still good for me.

I really like the lesson format for the 1K training but just as I got through week one the closed the pool for a week and the local pools have been absolutely packed and hard to train in (at least for me).  I’ve also realized that summer is going to be tough in terms of training-lots of little trips, relatives and friends coming to town, etc.  Let’s keep the 1k running and I’ll reup in the fall when it looks like I can train consistently.  I actually feel like I could stay on week one for some time-maintaining a neutral head/neck and aligned spine is a tough one for me and there’s still lots of room for improvement.  Whenever we can schedule that next lesson we can talk about going through the basic sequence again.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Hi Alex,

Sitting in the airport I made a new topic in your discussion zone and transferred our previous comments to it and then didn’t quite get to sending you an email to let you know. But you found it!

Well, with the summer interruptions, you may take a few of the practice patterns and repeat them when you do have time in the pool. Then when fall comes and you can get back into routine then you can get back into the progressive schedule of the program. No worries on postponing progress until then.

Alex Granzin
    Participant

Thanks Mat, I’m guessing since you didn’t mention a lesson in the next two weeks that you think it would be better to hold off until I’m back in a more predictable schedule.  If not then the week of the 16-20 would work for me for a tune-up lesson.  Your call.

Alex

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

No, we can meet if you’d like, if you feel it is timely for a check up. You’ve had your routine disrupted which makes a progressive training plan less productive for the physical fitness aspect, but fitting in practice time whenever you can will keep your neural connections growing.

How about Thursday at 11:30 for 60 min, if you like? Or 11:00 if you’d like 90 minutes.

Alex Granzin
    Participant

Great, 11:30 probably works better for me so let’s see what we can get done in 60 minutes.  I’ve been doing some stroke counting and even when I slow down (already going slow to begin with) I average around 21-23 strokes per 25 yards when according to the chart I should at least be around 18 or so.  It does come down several strokes if I really focus on tippy toes and right now relaxed head/neck, neutral spine and tippy toes are focal points that I’m concentrating on.  See you Thursday the 19th at 11:30.

Alex

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

OK. I have us down for Thurs, July 19, 11:30.

Counting is a great form of accountability. We don’t need to do it always, but often keeps our subjective sense calibrated to objective measure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.