Lesson Series Winter 2020

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

First Session – January 3

Hello Deb,

It was great to start working with you in the pool. I was pleased to share these first concepts and skills with you and see what a different those made already. Your athletic background is obvious, and I am confident you will pick up on these skills quickly.

Below you will find the outline to our lesson, with many additional links to articles that may be of interest to you, when you have time to study.

Welcome to our Freestyle Lesson Series

To review the concepts we are working with in this lesson series you may view our Freestyle Lesson Series Overview and the article Four Essential Features, where the skill objectives for each lesson are explained.

Build The Frame and Form Streamline Shape

Study

In our first lesson we have worked on those first two of those Four Essential Features. You may review these to understand more about our first lesson and study these skills before our next lesson:

Lesson Notes

You may view the outline for our first The Frame and Streamline Shape Lesson, which list the skills, the drills and the cues we used in our lesson together.

I also mentioned that you might enjoy using short swim fins to assist while working in the drills. You may read some thoughts on this in the article Should I Use Fins? These would enable you to do drills the full length of the pool, without stopping and you may breathe as you please.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets for The Frame and Streamline Shape for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Some Additional Reading

Below are some links to articles in our library that may help you. And, I do hope you will take advantage of this discussion zone to ask me specific questions about what and how to practice. This space is meant to support you in your personal training time.

A central feature of our method is our use of cues (a.k.a. focal points) to create a super-learning situation for your brain. You may review our introduction in  Using Cues.

As you do your personal practice between our live sessions, you may appreciate some guidance on how to organize your efforts. You may read How To Practice.

And, as you consider how much drills versus how much whole stroke you may do in your personal practice time you may view Transition From Drills To Whole Stroke. If you are feeling some tension between your need for drill work and your need to maintain fitness you may view Whole Stroke Swimming With Cues for some suggestions on how to balance those.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Second Session – January 8

In this second lesson we continued working our way through the Four Essential Features, in the freestyle stroke.

Generate Forward Momentum and Make First Connections

Study

We focused on the next two features:

Lesson Notes

You may view the outline for our second lesson on Lesson For Forward Momentum And First Connection which list the skills, the drills and the cues we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Sets For Momentum and Connections for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Pool Session – February 6

In today’s session we reviewed the main parts of the stroke, looking at them through the lens of ‘connections’ through the body.

I had you swim mostly full lengths with a single cue.

The Connections

1. connect the frame
    2. connect streamline
    3. connect momentum in recovery
    4. connect arms to torso rotation
    5. connect breathing action

The frame was looking good.

Worked on holding streamline during entire breathing action, to protect momentum

I assigned to you the 3 part breathing drill to disconnect the recovery arm from the head returning to face down position.

We studied some breathing cues…

• Turn asap
    • clear airways
    • squeeze from diaphragm
    • diaphragmatic breathing while resting at wall
    • Return head asap, before recovery arm

You may also practice this dry land stroke rehearsal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.