New Swimmer Series Nov 2019 at Courthouse

Forums Swim Courses New Swimmer Lesson Series New Swimmer Series Nov 2019 at Courthouse

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

First Session – October 29

Hi Harlan,

We had a good first session. You did very well in picking up the first skills we worked on. The practice you did in the week before really paid off! I am confident you are going to make good progress.

Below are links to the lesson outline, a practice guide and some additional articles to read if they catch your interest and you have time.

Please use this forum to stay in communication with me between and after your lessons, so I can support you as you practice.

Welcome to our New Swimmer Lesson Series

To review the concepts we are working with in this lesson series you may view our Freestyle Lesson Series Overview and the article Four Essential Features, where the skill objectives for each lesson are explained.

In our first lesson we have worked on those first two of those Four Essential Features. You may review these to understand more about our first lesson and prepare for those to come:

Study

You may view the outline for our first Balance and Streamline Lessons, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together. In our New Swimmer Series we are learning the basic skills for the freestyle (crawl) stroke.

This outline above covers a broad range of skills and drills and lists more focal points than we used in our New Swimmer lesson. You will recognize the drills and the focal points we used, and don’t worry about the ones you do not recognize. We are using just some of those drills and focal points in order to get you into useful level of stroke skill in a shorter amount of time (the Freestyle Technique Lesson Series covers more details in 4x 90 minute lessons). If you like, you may study those other focal points or drills, and incorporate them into your practice, but I don’t want to overload you with too many details as we 

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Balance and Streamline for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Some Additional Reading

Below are some links to articles in our library that may help you. And, I do hope you will take advantage of this discussion zone to ask me specific questions about what and how to practice. This space is meant to support you in your personal training time.

You may review our introduction to the Balance Streamline Propulsion Pyramid. You’ll use this BSP organization to help you set priorities in your skill learning process.

A central feature of our method is our use of Focal Points to create a super-learning situation for your brain. You may review our introduction to Focal Points.

As you do your personal practice between our live sessions, you may appreciate some guidance on how to organize your efforts. You may read How To Practice.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Second Session – November 5

In this second lesson we continued working our way through the Four Essential Features, in the freestyle stroke.

We focused on the next two features:

Study

You may view the outline for our second lesson on Recovery Swing, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Recovery Swing for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Third Session – November 12

I felt it would be good to work on the Rhythmic Breathing next, sooner than later. We will continue working through the drills and focal points in the next lesson.

Study

In today’s lesson we started to work on Rhythmic Breathing which depends on the Four Essential Features of the freestyle stroke. You may read the introduction for Rhythmic Breathing.

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our Rhythmic Breathing Lesson, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Rhythmic Breathing for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.