Lesson Series Nov 2018

Please type your comments directly in the reply box - DO NOT copy/paste text from somewhere else into the reply boxes - this will also copy the code behind your copied text and publish that with your reply, making it impossible to read.  Our apology for the inconvenience, but we don't see a convenient way of fixing this yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

First Session – Nov 13

Hi, Linda!

It was a pleasure to begin working with you today. I was pleased with your eagerness and openness to the new skills. You took to them easily and I know you will do well.

In this discussion topic I will leave personal notes on my observations, and place links to the standard outlines for each of our lessons. I will also place links to articles in our library that address other topics I want to share with you.

Study

To review the concepts we are working with in this lesson series you may view our Freestyle Lesson Series Overview and the article Four Essential Features, where the skills for each lesson are explained.

In today’s lesson we worked on those first two of those Four Essential Features, which you may review:

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our first Balance and Streamline Lessons, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

I also mentioned that you might enjoy using short swim fins to assist while working in the drills. You may read some thoughts on this in the article Should I Use Fins? Now you can do drills the full length of the pool, without stopping and breathe as you please.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Balance and Streamline for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Interrupted Breathing

Lastly, we took a moment to practice the form of breathing that you may use both in drill work and in regular swimming, as needed. You may read more about the details of Interrupted Breathing.

Some Additional Reading

Below are some links to articles in our library that may help you. And, I do hope you will take advantage of this discussion zone to ask me specific questions about what and how to practice. This space is meant to support you in your personal training time.

You may review our introduction to the Balance Streamline Propulsion Pyramid. You’ll use this BSP organization to help you set priorities in your skill learning process.

A central feature of our Total Immersion method is our use of Focal Points to create a super-learning situation for your brain. You may review our introduction to Focal Points.

As you do your personal practice between our live sessions, you may appreciate some guidance on how to organize your efforts. You may read How To Practice.

And, as you consider how much drills versus how much whole stroke you may do in your personal practice time you may view Transition From Drills To Whole Stroke.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Second Session – Nov 21

Hi Linda,

Even though you did not get to practice during the previous week you have done well in picking up the new skills from this lesson while holding on to the skills from last week. Your body must be used to learning new things quickly!

Study

In today’s lesson we worked on the third and fourth of those Four Essential Features, which you may review:

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our second Recovery Swing and Entry Lesson, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Recovery and Entry for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Third Session – Nov 27

Hi Linda,

You did so well with the Rhythmic Breathing skills today. By the end you were swimming full lengths with breaths, non-stop! You’ve got the main parts working now.

Study

In today’s lesson we worked on Rhythmic Breathing which depends on the Four Essential Features of the freestyle stroke. You may read the introduction for Rhythmic Breathing.

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our third Rhythmic Breathing Lesson, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Rhythmic Breathing for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own before our next session.

Mat Hudson
    Keymaster

Fourth Session – Dec 5

Study

In today’s final lesson we worked on underwater Catch (a.k.a the underwater pull) as a bonus to the Four Essential Features of the freestyle stroke and Rhythmic Breathing you have acquired already in these lessons. You may read the introduction for the Catch and Hold.

Lesson Outline

You may view the outline for our fourth lesson on the Catch and Hold, which list the skills, the drills and the focal points we used in our lesson together.

And, since you asked about the legs and seemed to be ready for it, I introduced you to the Counter-Balanced Foot Position which is the preliminary step to developing the 2-Beat Kick.

Practice Guide

You may view the Practice Plan for Catch and Hold for some guidance on how to work on these skills on your own.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.